Ugh. I guess the lesson I learned in January is that I didn't make enough time to practice, so I didn't get better. I only took 4 15 minute sessions during the whole month - I sketched leaves the first time, then FMQed them the other three times. There wasn't much improvement, although the third time, I gave myself the freedom to do whatever I wanted... I wrote my name, I did some squiggles, I even tried some pebbling.
The whole time, it was difficult for me... I felt like I was wasting fabric and batting... I tried to conserve my space. Of course, that's ridiculous - I was using ugly old fat quarters that I'd bought (super cheap) for a project a while back and never used. Probably because they were ugly... And I was using a batting scrap, so that was free as well. I think for February, I'm going to make a whole pile of sandwiches, and if I use them all up, FINE!
I'm glad that I didn't make sandwiches for my final sampler quilt yet... I would be really frustrated that I couldn't do January's square yet. I think my plan is to practice more in February, and if I get confident with the new pattern, then I'll try the leaves again. I need to master my pace (and what the heck - I've never had back thread issues until this month...) before I work on a final project!
Here's some pictures... the color variation is simply flash vs. no flash. I think I need to work on my photography. =)